A few weeks ago at a quick pop into High Fashion Home, I spotted a pendant light that I thought I could hack. A few craft stores later, we have a light. Ok, so it wasn’t that easy, but it wasn’t as difficult as we I thought it might be. We the hubs just needed to have a lot of patience using a drill bit for glass and tile that was NOT a diamond tip. (Have I ever mentioned just how cheap we can be?!) But instead of taking 5 minutes to drill through the glass it took just over an hour. No kidding. (So maybe it would have worth my his time to pay the $25 difference?!)
Regardless, it’s done and it was relatively cheap. The glass jar was $10 (with a Michaels coupon), the light socket was $4, the (extra thick) cord was $8, and I already had the hot pink construction cord. We also spent $6 on the now-questionable drill bit. So for around $30 we made ourselves a pretty niffty knock-off.
Once the dust settles around here (mid-June) we are going to do a major overhaul of our little space. And one of the first things we’re going to do is re-do our art situation. We’ve got many ideas brewing and we were both tickled at the idea below. I’ve had the George Washington painting (on the left) on my computer for as long as I can remember and then last week or so I came across the Oliver Jeffers painting (on the right). A mini-trend about to bloom? I can see the DIY-ers taking this one to the bank. And I might just have to join in…that is, if I can find just the right painting to edit.
I love that my best friend in the world, the love of my life, is just as crazy as I am. (I’ve always said, it’s why we work.) We are makers. If it can be made, we’re going to attempt it. His projects are usually larger than mine, but occasionally, I’ll tackle something big too (remember this attic bathroom shower?) The holidays (and birthdays) provide the perfect platform for us to exercise our insanity. This year I made a few personalized items for my recipient, but I spent some time this year making my own wrapping paper. I used regular mixed media paper 14 x 17 sheets and basic acrylic paint. And since I didn’t have near as many packages to wrap this year (as opposed to last year), it was totally doable in one afternoon.
The hubs however, has had his project in the making for about a year. While we were off the grid last year in West Texas, he busied himself by hand harvesting a few limbs of Wild Texas Persimmon. He then learned how to turn that wood into beautiful tools of the civilized world. He made a few pens, pencils, and stylus’. I think they are beautiful. The persimmon has unknown markings with each piece you turn and it just so happened that the stylus for his mother had a beautiful black mark, almost like it was painted there. It was perfect.
This had to be one of the easiest DIY’s we’ve done in a long time. We actually made it over two weekends though, instead of just one. We mixed and poured two weekends ago, and then finally pulled it apart this past weekend.
Step 1. Mix the concrete. We used one of these Quikrete products (the hubs would have to specify which one– who knew they had so many?!)
Step 2. Pour wet mixture into a form. For this we used a milk carton and a smaller whipping creme carton. We used tape to help hold the shape.
Step 3. Once it dries (times will vary depending on the mixture) pull it apart.
Step 4 (and 4 1/2). Admire your work. I honestly had no idea it wasn’t going to have a level top. I thought we did enough banging and shaking to have everything level off. But oh well.
Step 5. Give those rough edges a quick rub with some sandpaper.
Step 6. Fill with your desired contents. This little gem was going to be home for a succulent the hubs brought home some weeks ago.
This was so easy to make I can see giving these out as gifts, especially a housewarming gift. (Here is another succulent container I made for my sis.)
While the hubs was away for 7 weeks I kept myself busy with a little photo project. I tried to take a photo-a-day and then actually print it. It’s funny how the vast majority of my photos never see paper. But I decided this would be the occasion and since the ink in my pen has been running a bit dry, maybe a visual journal would be a little more intuitive. I used a baseball card holder for the photos and each shot is 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. I also included a date page and then a poem; it’s actually a seven stanza poem by Wendell Berry (The Country of Marriage). (I thought it was appropriate for the project at hand.) And although I have yet to fill those last three slots — I’m thinking I will actually type up my thoughts on the project and our time apart — I’m happy with the way it turned out. I could see doing this for our next adventure — near or far.